I just love this chilled Pea and avo soup. Such a delicious and vibrant combination with fresh lemon, mint and goats cheese. Just looking at this soup makes me happy. Serve with generously buttered seed bread or garlic bruschetta and you have one amazeball meat free meal. I’ve done this soup many times as a starter which goes down a treat before a lightly smoked salmon trout or lamb dish. Beautiful.
In other news, my website is almost ready! In the meantime, hop over to my new facebook and twitter page to get a sneak peek of what’s to come! Serious excitement brewing here in the “Bits of Carey” kitchen.
Now, do yourself a favour and try this recipe. Enjoy! x
Pea and avo soup
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: +- 10 minutes
500 g frozen petit pois (baby peas)
1 bunch of leeks, finely sliced
1 T (15 ml) butter
+- 2 c ( 500 ml) prepared chicken or vegetable stock
A handful of mint leaves
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
Flesh of 1 large ripe avo
Salt and pepper to taste
100 g chevin or goat’s cheese
- Pour boiling water over the peas and allow to stand for 2 minutes(no longer) then rinse immediately with ice cold water and drain. Set aside.
- In a pot, fry the leeks in butter until soft and fragrant. Add stock and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Place the peas in a blender and blitz until pureed add the stock slowly until the desired consistency is reached. Add the lemon juice, zest, mint and avo and blend until smooth.
- Season with salt and lots of pepper.
- Serve warm or chilled topped with crumbled goats cheese and lemon zest. Delicious with generously buttered seed bread.