Friday Food Quiz Number 57
June 26, 2011 in Uncategorized
1. What dish is known as Jewish penicillin?
2. What spices are traditionally in Ras el Hanout and what does it mean?
it’s a blend of spices from North Africa I think -isn’t it all your hot and curry style spices? It means – you’re going to suffer in the morning!
3. What is swede?
a turnip style vege
4. From which country is “pho bo” and when is it served?
It’s a Cantonese soup
5. Many in the food world believe the three great cuisines are which three?
French, Italian, Indian
6. What is a spatchcock?
when the backbone and sternum are removed from a chicken and the chicken is flattened out – also called butterfly
7. What is the difference between Vanilla essence and Vanilla extract?
Vanilla essence – it’s fake, vanilla extract has vanilla seeds and is made from the vanilla
8. What is traditionally used to thicken the sauce of Sauerbraten?
don’t know what Sauerbraten is but can I assume that it’s German/Austrian? Sauerkraut is sour cabbage so I’m too scared to even work out what Braten is and why that’s sour too.
9. Where does Malva pudding get its name?
Gee – no clue – never thought about it before
10. What are Portobello mushrooms called in their juvenile state?
mmmm – not a clue again