How to oven-dry tomatoes
Our beautiful tomatoes have been so good to us this year, bursting onto their vines and blushing redder than red. We’ve picked them in basket fulls and one of the easiest and most versatile way to preserve them is to dry them out in the oven.
- 1 large basket of tomatoes
- 500ml olive oil
- 1 head garlic
- 1 large bunch fresh basil
- Preheat your oven to 150 C.
- Cut the tomatoes in half and place cut side up on a baking tray.
- Depending on how dry you like them, cook slowly for 1-2 hours.
- Let them cool when they are done to your liking.
- Peel and cut the garlic into thin slices.
- Wash the basil and remove leaves from the stalks.
- Place in serilised jars (2 mins in microwave) with the garlic and basil interspersed and fill with the olive oil.
- It will last for about a month, but I guarantee it will be gone by then.
That’s it!!! It depends on how plump or dried-out you like them, I personally prefer juicy-ish one’s, not the chewy, un-cuttable ones.
*Quickie pasta – boil pasta and chop in some of these babies, crumble on goats cheese and some crispy bacon – heaven.
Or try this previously blogged recipe – Chicken pasta with oven-dried tomatoes and pesto.
Here’s a latest piccie of my little monsters – are they growing up or what?