This recipe is a new favourite of mine. It kicks ass. Spicy, Cajun-ey, chilli ass with peppery salad leaves wilted into it just before serving.
It’s a winner as a starter or fatten it up with fresh, popping baby tomatoes, colourful peppers and perhaps some baba potatoes. You can also use all sorts of leaves for this. Butter lettuce would be lovely and soft, rocket would pack a punch or you could Asian things up with some lovely fresh bok choi (Chinese scabbage).
- 500g baby calamari tubes and tentacles
- 3 T Cajun spice
- 1 t smoked paprika (you can use normal if you like, then make it 2 t)
- 2 fresh chillis (depending on hot you like it)
- 1 pinch saffron (if you have it hanging around)
- 4 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 packet Italian salad leaves
- Vegetable/canola oil
- Salt and black pepper
- Place the calamari into a colander and run fresh water over it to get rid of any sliminess from being in packaging. Shake it to remove as much water as possible.
- Place all the spices, garlic and calamari in a bowl and marinade from 10 mins - 1 day. A few hours will do just fine.
- Heat a pan until very hot, add some oil and pan-fry the calamari in batches until just cooked. +- 3-5 mins per batch.
- Place it all back into the pan with the leaves and turn for literally 30 seconds until everything is mixed and coated and the leaves are starting to wilt. You don't want them to shrink to nothingness.
- Serve immediately.
- TIP: I always cook the little heads for longer until they are starting to get crispy.
Couldn’t you just DIG in right now…?
Enjoy lovely people,