We’ve been exceptionally wafty and pure by growing our own beetroot. It came out be-yoo-tifully and a welcome addition to the fountains of tomatoes, gems and beans.
I threw in some peppery baby rocket that I have sprouting like the magic porridge pot behind the kitchen door, crumbled over some of my fave garlic goats cheese and WHOOP-LA, uber sexy salad.
I dressed it up with a light lemony dressing with a droppette of truffle oil in it and it really brought out those earthy beetroot flavours.
- 6 small beetroot
- 2 T balsamic vinegar
- 1 T honey
- 1 t brown sugar
- 1 roll garlic goats cheese
- 1 ripe avocado
- Mixed salad leaves
- 1 handful fresh rocket
- 2 T Extra Virgin olive oil
- 2 drops truffle infused oil (or leave out if you don’t like it)
- Juice of ¼ lemon
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Tip – break the tops off the beetroot instead of cutting it, it won’t bleed.
- Place in a pot and simmer until soft.
- Drain and cool.
- When cooled, peel them carefully (the skins come off quite easily).
- Cut them into even wedges and place in a large pan. Toss over a medium heat with the 2 T Balsamic, honey and sugar for a few minutes until glossy. Season and set aside to cool.
- Make the salad:
- Lay your salad leaves on a platter, peel and cut the avo and lay at intervals around the platter with the beetroot.
- Crumble over the goats cheese and top with the rocket. Season with black pepper.
- Whisk the oils and lemon together and season.
Enjoy fair peoples.