It was such a lovely day in Cape Town. I walked on the beach with the dogs, so I came home late and haven’t had much time to prepare supper, so I have made this mussel soup:
500g frozen mussels
1 onion, peeled and chopped
2l long life full cream milk
2 chicken stock cubes
250ml cake flour
3 bay leaves
a pinch of dried oregano
25ml chopped fresh parsley
125ml dry white wine
salt and freshly ground black pepper
—0— —0— —0— —0— —0— —0—
· Place mussels in a mixing bowl, pour water over, and leave till later.
· Heat butter in a heavy based pot and fries the onion until soft.
· Heat the milk in another pot, add chicken stock cubes, and stir till dissolved.
· Add the cake flour to the butter and cook for two minutes, stirring all the time. Remove from the heat.
· Add the hot chicken stock milk gradually, stir continuously till smooth.
· Put back onto the heat; add the spices and herbs as well as the mussels and water. Heat till boiling point, whilst stirring continuously. Reduce heat and let the soup simmer till the mussels are cooked and soup has thickened.
· Add the white wine and simmer for another 5 minutes
· Serve hot with some crusty bread.