Sweet Tart Challenge – Inspiration
June 26, 2010 in Uncategorized
So about almost 2 weeks ago, Inspiration set a challenge to bake a sweet tart… I know Im posting this late – 1st I was busy, then I forgot the recipe at home… and then almost forgot completely! The new challenge for this week was a savoury tart – which I think I’ll be making on Monday for dinner…
The only reason I think I actually could take part in this particular challenge was because Hubs had his birthday on the 17th.
We invited the nearest and dearest for a bit of Koek en Tee (Tea & Cake).
We had some chicken sausage rolls (out a box), a very lekker ‘groot’ koek, and then apple tart.
Very nice icing attempt! lol
Now for the APPLE TART:
1 cup cake flour
1 cup white sugar
3 tablespoons butter (softened)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup milk
1 (or 2) cans of baking/tart apples
- With an electric mixer, beat the eggs, butter & sugar together.
- Add all the dry ingredients and lastly the milk, mix well.
- Layer 1/2 your apples in a greased oven proof dish, dust with cinnamon,
- Pour over the tart mix (deeg) and add the rest of the apple pieces on top (it will sink down though)
* you can cut the apple pieces to bite size.
- Bake at 180′C for approx 30min (subject to the depth of your dish, the deeper the longer it takes, test with a clean knife for doneness – if the knife come out clean its done!)
1/2 cup butter (125gr)
1 cup brown Sugar (or white)
1 cup milk (or 200ml milk & 50 ml cream)
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 or 2 cinnamon sticks (or 1 teaspoon grounded cinnamon)
- Boil all the ingredients together, keep warm until the tart is done
- If you used the cinnamon sticks, remove
- Once the tart is done, remove from oven, prick with a fork or knife (I sommer cut the tart into portions allready)
- Pour the hot syrup over the hot tart
- Enjoy warm or cold with ice cream or fresh whipped cream.
Apologies for my pic – but it still makes me want to take a spoon and take a bite out of it..
I got some lovely pieces of Sole from The Food Lovers Market this morning, and teaming it up with a bit of garlic and lemon… and a first in our house hold – FENNEL Bulbs, not sure what to do it, but will think of something! lol I will report on the result…soon! Got many things still to share!…
Happy weekend to you all!!!!!!!!!