Cauliflower & Cheese ‘Soup’
September 16, 2010 in Uncategorized
Apologies for my absence – its been a bit hectic at work and my energy levels are all but diminished! Probably just the change of season…Im kinda sick of all the dust and dry air – a good highveld thunderstorm would be most welcome!!!
With the “wooopsie” on letterdash on the weekend I didnt get around to posting this for Inspirations Cauliflower Challenge, so here we go!
I sommer bought one of the broccoli & cauliflower mixed packets and sorted the 2 – I love both, so will have the broccoli sometime this week still. I did use one floret (?) to garnish the ‘soup’. Looked pretty hey?? The reason Im putting the ‘soup’ between brackets, Im not entirely sure whether this qualifies as a soup… puree’d cauliflower mixed with a cheese sauce! It tasted really good!
Cauliflower & Cheese ‘Soup’ (serves 2 generous portions, or 4 starters)
- 2 handfuls cauliflower, cooked/steamed with a bit of salt & splash of lemon juice
- Milk (a bit for the pureeing of the cauliflower, and about 1 and a 1/2 cup for the sauce)
- 1/2 Cup Cheese, grated or cubed as below on pic (Gouda or Cheddar)
- Cream (about 50ml)
- 2 Table Spoons Farm Butter
- Maizena (mixed with water as per package instructions)
- Pinch Nutmeg
- Salt & Pepper to taste
* Blend the cooked cauliflower, together with 1 table spoon butter and a bit of milk to a smooth consistancy (you can have it halfchunky too)
* In a pot, heat the milk and the remaining butter to boiling point.
* Reduce the heat and all the maizena, stirrring constantly,
* When the sauce/milk/bechamel sauce starts to thicken you can add the cheese, keep stirring until all the cheese is melted into the sauce.
* Add the pinch of nutmeg, and cream along with the pureed’ cauliflower, stir well,
* Season to taste and serve warm with fresh bread.
So there you have it – cauliflower & cheese soup! hehe
Hope you have all voted for the SABlog Awards – tomorrow is the last day for voting…Remember Potjie, Nina, Janice & Ally is in the running!!!! Sorry Im not linking all of this… a bit in a hurry, but PLEASE do vote for them – We need to Support them as much we can, they are all doing a GREAT JOB!!! (for the links check my previous post)
Have a Fantastic Thursday!!