June 1, 2012 in Cooking with Woolies
Few dishes get me as excited as a big bowl of perfectly al dente pasta, the simpler the better!.
Even though my boyfriend Callan and I recently discovered the utter joy of making our very own fresh pasta, it’s not always realistic to come home and whip out your machine.
Then, there’s only one thing for it and that is Woolies’ egg-free dried tagliatelle. It’s on the WRewards programme at Woolworths right now, so you save every time you buy (that’s if you’re a Woolworths cardholder!)
Long strands of pasta like tagliatelle are superb with thick sauces because it coats and clings to very string. My sauce of choice is Bolognese, and this is my favourite way to make it.
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 fresh chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 3 T olive oil
- 2 x 400g cans of chopped tomatoes
- 2 t brown sugar
- 1 t red wine vinegar
- 500g free range beef mince
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 500g egg-free tagliatelle
- Add the garlic, onion and chilli along with 1 T olive oil to a saucepan and gently fry over a medium to low heat until the onions are soft and the garlic is fragrant.
- Now you can add your canned tomatoes and simmer for 10 minutes before adding your brown sugar and a little seasoning.
- Simmer for a couple more minutes until the sauce has thickened, then add a splash of red wine vinegar.
- Panfry your beef mince in the remaining olive oil until browned.
- Add your mince to your sauce with the fresh thyme, simmer for 10 more minutes and serve hot with freshly cooked, al dente tagliatelle.
Lovely for winter evenings!